"That's Very Smart"
Skip to main content

Topic: Engine battery drain is a pain in the A….? (Read 1090 times) previous topic - next topic

Engine battery drain is a pain in the A….?

My engine battery on. 2021 unity seems to only last about 7-10 days when not in use and setting idle. This is getting to be a real downer when you want to go on a trip and the LTV won’t start. It seems odd to have to disconnect the battery if it sets for a week just to make sure it will start. Cars can go for a month no problem.

Any suggestions why it is happening and what could be tried to fix this. The obvious is leave it p,urged in which is not an option always or disconnect main battery by foot well which is not always remembered. Thanks.
Todd W
"LTVnIT" on YouTube

Re: Engine battery drain is a pain in the A….?

Reply #1
Based on the answer I received in the forum from my recent post, it would not help you to plug in the camper even if you could. What I have been doing for my car when we are off on long trips is to put a small solar panel trickle charger hooked up to the car battery when we are away to keep it from going dead.
I plan to start using that same solar panel to trickle charge the MB chassis battery when we are home. Amazon has a good variety of these. I have used one on the dash of my toad for the last 9 months to keep our toad's battery charged up.

Reply #2
See the post on the communication between the house and chassis batteries.  If the link is active (I only took 18 months to figure it wasn't after buying a used Unity) you can actually start the chassis battery with the generator running or the reverse.  With the confusion I previously bought a jump battery (Clore Automotive Jump-N-Carry JNC325 12 Volt Lithium Jump Starter for up to 8-Liter Gasoline and 6-Liter Diesel Engines) which can be used to run start either the engine or the generator.

I have had no issues with a drain like you mention, except when the battery went bad or a renter left the running lights on overnight.

Reply #3
Solved that problem with a Trik L Charge but Good only if you have solar on roof

Reply #4

I had the same problem on my 2022 Unity RL. Found the following solution in MB operational manual:
1. With the ignition on and the engine off scroll to "vehicle" on the main touch screen.
2. Scroll down and choose standby mode.
3. The next screen will ask you whether you want to activate--CHOOSE the YES response.
4. Turn off the ignition.
After a few minutes (15-30) the firefly display will read 0.1 volts. This should be good for approximately 26 weeks of non-use. I rarely go more than a month without starting the MH and have never had a problem using this method.

Reply #5
On our last Sprinter based RV, A Galleria, I found that having the Propane turned to the "ON" position caused the solenoid to draw about an AMP.  This would kill the chassis battery in a couple of weeks.  Don't know if our LTV works the same, but I leave it off if the coach is not in use.
....W A L S T I B.... S F....

What A Long Strange Trip Its Been....So Far....