"That's Very Smart"
Skip to main content

Topic: Rear view camera (Read 698 times) previous topic - next topic

Rear view camera

I have a 2020 UnityMB and tow a small truck quite often.  Because of the limited rear visibility I want a full time rear camera and have just installed my 3rd  version.
First was a tadibrothers wireless solar since I didn't want to do a lot of wiring.  Not enough battery storage and the solar panel wouldn't keep it charged.  Plus the camera got water in it, so it was foggy.  Returned it and got my moneyback.
Second attempt was an Auto-Vox wireless.  Used it for 2 years and it was OK.  What I didn't like was that I had it wired into the license plate light for power which required me to turn on the running lights to make it work.  Plus it had a 2.4 ghz transmitter and some other contraption in the power line.  Lot of hassle running the line up the rear of the coach.  Other problem was it was a 120 degree camera and any car more than 50 foot behind us looked like an ant.  what I really wanted was a rear-view mirror.
3rd attempt is an Auto-vox Solar 4.  Stuck the solar panel to the roof, mounted the camera above the real backup camera, plugged the  monitor into the power outlet in the dash storage, and plugged the brake monitor for the toad into the power plug since it has a USB outlet also.  Easy peasy.  So far so good, Plus the camera is 90 degrees so cars look like cars behind us.
Only issue I have is the monitor is not the greatest resolution. 
Leaving for Alaska in two weeks so it will get a real test.

Re: Rear view camera

Reply #1
2020 Unity has the MBUX screen. One good solution for full time rear monitoring is the Mid City On Demand Camera On Demand upgrade. This allows you to push 2 buttons on your dash to bring up your factory backup camera at any speed!

Another option is this rear view mirror replacement and camera kit from ETrailer:
https://www.etrailer.com/Backup-Camera/Rear-View-Safety/RVS-776718-CT.html?feed=npn&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw_sq2BhCUARIsAIVqmQuYOMVvYKZpEXDUpkSA2ndqED6bdEEvHAX3928oDHthh1-QkeJh4DkaAqv0EALw_wcB

In addition you can do an EchoMaster kit that adds blinker activated blind spot cameras to your mirrors that show up on the factory 7" or 10.25" display!
LANE CHANGE ASSISTANCE FOR MERCEDES-BENZ SPRINTER VANS