"That's Very Smart"
Skip to main content

Topic: Why LTV Unity (Read 1434 times) previous topic - next topic

Why LTV Unity

Thinking about selling our 2010 Pleasure Way Excel and buying an older 2013 or 2014 LTV Unity, preferably TB or IB from a dealer in southern Oregon. Both RVs are marked down to less than $95K, with the 2014 having 51K miles. My experience has been gas combustion engines from vintage English to Chevy Suburban and now the Ford E-350 chassis with 6.4L Triton V10. I am familiar with old-school MB history of quality and reliability, but diesels are a different animal. I am reading as much as I can, good, bad and ugly and need your help in assuaging my fears. I'm not sold on the Ford Transit chassis and overall Wonder design. Ford does not have a stellar rep as of late.  At age 74, the wife and I want comfort, some luxury, and a dry bath. Canadian build seems to be the only way to go even at the higher price point. However, I'm looking at different LTV model floorplans at an upcoming RV show in Portland Oregon. My main questions: Are there any owners on this forum in the region where I live; Longview WA, 45 min north of Portland OR, who know of a reputable service company for regular MB diesel engine maintenance? How should I determine the state of the diesel engine? Should I hire an independent MB mechanic? The dealership has no problem with that. Also, I've run the VIN #s thru the MB exhaust / emission control system civil lawsuit and recall. Both of these LTVs have been repaired to satisfy the emission standards and the warranty on parts extended. Your feedback is much appreciated.

Re: Why LTV Unity

Reply #1
Hello, MB made the worlds first diesel production motor in a vehicle in the 1930s so needless to say they have a long standing reputation with diesel products. Buying from a reputable dealership that stands behind their products and looking into aftermarket warranty protection is a good place to start when talking about 'peace of mind' after the sale. On a nearly 10 year old unit condition will be a good indicator of how the unit was cared for. If you have something that is in great condition with 30,000 - 60,000 miles on it you can feel more confident that the previous owner also maintained proper service intervals. Most MB clients service their units at MB dealerships which would report these regular service intervals to Carfax. MB has a long standing reputation for quality, they drive like a "tank," handle incredible in snow, ice and rain, have very tight feeling steering and are a smooth and comfortable ride. There is really nothing like driving an RV built on the MB chassis and the LTV construction quality for the B+ class RV is second to none!

Reply #2
Things to look for
How old are the coach batteries.  Are they FLA or AGM Deep Cycle  dual 6V or?  Were solar panels installed? Does it have a ladder to go look?
how old is the chassis battery - located under your feet on the drivers side.  What is the voltage reading for each battery
What is the age of the tires.  - it shows  the manufacturing date on the sidewall
What upgrades have been done?  What rattles have been fixed? I use foam
Do you know anything about having to add DEF?  Is the DEF full? it shows up on one of the menu items readings on the digital readout.
There is a Unity Sprinter forum if you want to read about stories as there are a few owners with 2014 on that forum.
you can download both a Unity Manual from LTV  and one from Mercedes for the chassis.
Check the baggage doors to see if the vinyl hinge has not dried off.  and check the gas struts; they should hold the door open.  They are easy to change.  And while check those hinges look at the foam gaskets around all the openings/doors to see if they are still good including the skylight.
Does it have a generator? diesel or propane.  Try starting it and then put the AC on to see how it takes a load.
Turn on the gas and check the 2 burner stove and should be a 3 Way fridge unless someone upgraded. Turn it to gas to see if it works.  The turn on the water pump and hot water.
The Becker GPS is useless and the maps are really expensive so best to ignore that one and get something else for GPS - I have a Garmin65
For the engine compartment check the engine air filter that will tell you how well the maintenance was followed. There is also a cabin air filter on the left side that you can see without lifting anything.  I bought mine used with MB service work invoices.  The air filter was really bad even though MB had done the service.  I have a 2016 with 30K - no issues with chassis items - the recall has been done and I got my money, it has not made any difference
Check to see if the previous owner(s) has installed Sumo Springs - one of first things I did to get less roll during winds and climbing over curbs.

Reply #3
Awesome suggestions cbaarch!!! Kudos for the pointers!!!!

Todd
Todd W
"LTVnIT" on YouTube

Reply #4
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and feedback. I read Car and Driver, Motorbiscuit, Edmunds, RV Insider, etc., but there is nothing like hearing from actual owners. I educated myself on the DEF system, along with watching several diesel pusher videos where the limp mode came into play. I am not afraid to learn, even do minor repairs. So, thanks again. I continue to post once I come to a decision.

Reply #5
Claudett, you cannot go wrong with and LTV and the community. They make what I consider the BEST RV and KICK Airstreams "behind" in quality and options also.
Todd W
"LTVnIT" on YouTube

Reply #6
Selling my 2014 LTV Unity MBU due to health issues. Had it less than one year and offering a great price. I originally bought it used from a dealer and have performed all maintenanced since then. I have an interested party wanting to know how many owners. I only know of one plus myself, but I would like to verify ownership history. Use to CarFax and Autotrader for cars, but not sure about RVs. Any suggestions, please, for a site that is trusted and not terribly expensive. Thanks a lot.

Reply #7
https://www.jdpower.com/rvs
This is what most dealers use to value used RVs. Book value is more of a bank lending guideline than a pricing guideline though. RVs price on year, make, model, miles and condition. Look at other LTVs for sale in your general region and price it accordingly.

Also, if you reach out to LTV they may be able to put you in touch with a solid LTV dealership that can help you consign it.