"That's Very Smart"
Skip to main content

Topic: Steel Wheels versus Aluminum Wheels (Read 2937 times) previous topic - next topic

Steel Wheels versus Aluminum Wheels

I looking at accessories the UNITY, what are the advantages of the Aluminum wheels over the Steel wheels with the chrome simulators? 
Less weight of course.  How much weight less?

Is it worth it?  Comments from owners would be appreciated. Thank You
Everyday is a good one; some are better than others

Re: Steel Wheels versus Aluminum Wheels

Reply #1
It is my understanding that the steel wheels provided on the Unity model do NOT provide easy access to the rear "inner" tire valve stem; the Alcoa aluminum wheel offering provides access to manually measure tire PSI with a handheld gauge "more easily" for ALL (6) tires as the rear "inner" valve stem extends out through the rear "outside" wheel. 
Side note question:  does anyone know why Mercedes Benz does not provide an electronic TPMS System?  I believe the Ford Transit chassis for the LTV Wonder comes with TPMS (as did my 2012 Chevy Impala), but such a convenience & safety feature is not included on the much more expensive Mercedes unit . . . so if you want it, you will have to research and compare the number of after-market solutions.
(Awaiting) ‘22 LTV Unity TB

Reply #2
aluminium alloys are well-known for their ability to withstand corrosion and rust, and alloy wheels are no different. As well as for Better handling Aluminium, the base of many of these alloys, is considerably lighter than steel. It allows them to give a higher performance in almost every condition.

Reply #3
For me just in cleaning ease the Alcoa Dura-Bright Aluminum wheels are worth the money.  Its a simple soapy water cleanup and they will look like new, no polish, no rust, no scrubbing.  They also just look a lot better than the steel wheels.

Reply #4
Why aluminum wheels are better:

1. Lightweight: Aluminum wheels are lighter giving you improved handling, acceleration and braking. Lighter wheels require less force to stop the vehicle increasing brake pad longevity and safety. This reduction in weight can also improve fuel efficiency and reduce wear on the suspension and steering systems.

2. Corrosion Resistant: Less likely to rust and corrode over time. Also very easy to clean and aesthetically pleasing.

3. Better heat dissipation: Aluminum wheels dissipate heat better than steel wheels which can improve braking performance and brake fade.

4. Improved ride quality: Aluminum wheels can reduce vibration and provide a smoother ride especially on rough roads.

Reply #5
I just had a blowout with the steel wheels, the tire blew and the rim bent. I was able to get the rim rebent. But there is a weird adapter to attach the wheels to the simulator that apparently no one knows anything about. So currently I cannot reattach the simulators and am driving around with ugly steel wheels.
I would recommend alloys.